Milan | Italy
The new Loreto is based on 5 strategic and planning actions aimed at deeply reorganising the Piazzale and making it a meeting area for the district, a commercial and pedestrian area and a green junction of the city’s ecological infrastructure.
1. Vehicle traffic, from central to peripheral. Limit vehicular traffic to the perimeter of the square
2. From Piazzale to Piazza. An open square at mezzanine level (-3.5m)
3. Retail: commercial mix and vitality of the square. Program the perimeter of the mezzanine with commercial functions
4. A Green Ring. An area in continuity with the urban ecological infrastructure affecting the area
5. The square: sports, game and events. A square for the neighbourhoods, multifunctional and programmable
The new Loreto will become a hinge, a spatial and programmatic overlap of different identities: a common square shared by the varied population of that portion of Milan, a space of encounter and diversity.
Piazzale Loreto will become a “piazza”, a platform for citizens, experienced through a wide range of spontaneous and organised activities
The new Piazza is created by eliminating part of the current slab, at street level, thus transforming the current mezzanine into an open space at -3.5 meters, defined on the perimeter by a new commercial program.